Tuesday, April 16, 2013


Endurance
This is what you need to run marathons.
I heard a talking head say that the bombing in Boston is the price we pay for living in a free society. I disagree strongly with that notion and I for one do not and would not choose to pay. There has to be a better way. Maybe I am thinking there is an implied freedom from violence paraphrased in the preamble to the Constitution, the framework for the freedoms our country is founded upon. We do live in a free society in the midst of a deeply troubled world and in our midst there are deeply troubled individuals, members of our free society included. The dead and injured in Boston didn’t expect to pay the price of freedom with their lives and futures, yet they did. Sandy Hook and countless other unexplainable and unfathomable other random acts are more proof of a troubling undercurrent of violence in our free society whether the threat comes from within or without. Yet within this pervasive (more than 10 years of it that according to newscasters we have a whole generation growing up more prepared to deal with impending terror attacks) culture of violence and yes, terror, seeds of peace and hope must endure and I know there are countless others that share my abhorrence of the events of terror that plagued the Boston Marathon and lots of other places and people near and far from our home. This morning when I went out to feed my chickens a misting gray fog hung heavily around, shrouding me like  feelings of despair and sadness resulting from the news of yesterday’s tragic events, but the chickens seemed unaffected as usual, seeming to know that the sun would come up again as long as they endured. I envy them a little, yet I know there is no true peace in just acting like a chicken when the sky is falling. I am once again making a stand for peace and continuing to make my own positive impact on the world through acts of kindness. I would hope that the spiral of terror and violence could be reversed in my lifetime but I am not so sure about that so I will work on my endurance.
Endurance, Boston has this, and the city and its patriots will continue and endure. In times of tragedy in this country we collectively stand together, support each other, pray, and endure as our precious freedom endures.
This is what you need to run marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!