Saturday, April 13, 2013


Chicken Sit
No, this isn't a misspelling of the word sit in the title of this blog post (I didn’t leave out a letter). Nor am I writing about the game of chicken (in this case not about who can sit the longest-if  I was though, Ethan, in the bathroom with his IPad Mini might be the winner). I am actually writing about lucrative possible employment as a Chicken Sitter. Apparently there are a few already out there among the cat and house sitters and dog walkers, my very own sister and grandkids included. There are even chicken hotels where you can board your birds if you plan to be away for an extended stay. All this has come about as a result of the urban backyard chicken movement which is gaining ground all over the US and in other countries. I for one, feel like a pioneer in this movement toward keeping small, rooster-less, flocks for fresh eggs, insect control, and general outdoor entertainment, as I have mentioned my flock led by our very own indomitable Chickaboom, the peak of the pecking order in my backyard in this blog several times. The allure of the backyard chicken movement parallels the resurgence of backyard kitchen, organic, and container gardening and a healthy concern about issues that include food safety and the desire to know where our food is coming from.
I’m not sure what the job usually pays but I figure it probably pays whatever the market will bear and perhaps a bonus too, of maybe enough eggs to make a chicken sitter a delicious omelet or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!