Monday, September 30, 2013

Group Doctor Appointments
This is not a new Obamacare thing and it’s not ripped from a TV sitcom either. The list of other things it’s not could go on, it isn't AA or OA or any of the A for anonymous group thingies nor is it group therapy. But perhaps all these and the influence of social media (think it takes a village and we are all part of the village) created a gentle nudge toward this idea of group doctor appointments. Group doctor appointments are just that. Instead of seeing a doctor one on one you see the doctor with a group of other patients with the same condition. I like the idea. I notice a lot of people share information (think TMI-too much info) on line and on TV and everywhere really so why not in group appointments. I like the idea that I may have my questions asked and answered, and that may include some questions I hadn't thought to ask or felt too uncomfortable to ask. I can easily picture a group of pregnant women sharing concerns and supporting each other in this setting. I think the group idea is a good one for patients dealing with other issues too, like knee or hip replacements or diabetes. Here is another list that could go on when I think of all the possible illnesses conducive to group appointments and the various reasons we go to the doctor. And maybe we wouldn't have to wait so long to be seen or feel like the appointment time was too short. I would think the atmosphere would be a bit less tense for the patient, but maybe not the doctor, though that’s what they get the big bucks for. The doctor may even prove to be a bit more personable and that is a good thing.

The downside? Save that for those one on one doctor to patient appointments because I am sure there will be times when you will need one of those too.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!