Friday, March 8, 2013


Why did the man throw his cellphone out the window?
I have a self-imposed rule I created about writing about random acts of kindness in this blog: I am committing 96 for others this year and once a month I blog an update about one act of kindness performed for me. Basically I am not writing about any of the acts I do but focus, instead, on the random acts of kindness I catch others in the “act” so to speak of doing. To date this has been working for me but the other day I saw an older man (nicely dressed-though not for the weather because it was cold out and he was in shirtsleeves) walking down the off ramp from St. Marys Road to Hwy 40 and I decided to offer him a ride (in case he was a nursing home escapee or silver alert person of interest or as a random act of kindness opportunity). Anyway he declined the offer (so I figure this doesn’t count toward my 96 acts, hence I am blogging about it) as I held up traffic. He called out that he’d dropped his cell phone and that he’d found it and continued walking to the traffic signal where a nice late model hybrid was parked on the shoulder waiting for him, much nicer than the car full of grandkids, I sometimes refer to as G’ma’s taxi, that I was driving when I stopped.
So I kept going but the incident got me thinking about why the man threw his cell phone out his window in the first place. I came to the conclusion that he must have tossed it because it wasn’t near any residence or business when he found it so it was unlikely that it fell off the roof of his vehicle. I thought back to the time I drove off with my purse/diaper bag on the roof, forgotten there in the confusion of making sure all passengers, including those in infant car seats, were properly buckled. Even then my bag fell off rather quickly and after some fellow motorists honking and a toddler informing me about it, I was still near civilization and unlike a cellphone it was easy to spot in the rearview mirror. I was able to quickly pull off and gather it up. My next thought was about the time I threw the Bakugan toy out the car window. Two boys wouldn’t quit arguing over it and were they shocked after handing it over only to watch it sail out the window, over the guard rail, and into Dark Entry Creek. But the man didn’t have any passengers in the car to settle an argument over a phone with and it was too cold out for him to have accidently dropped it while conversing with the window down. Maybe he was angry or tired of talking to someone on the other end of a cellphone conversation. And so, pondering the mystery of that moment, I was left to wonder, why did the man throw his cellphone out the window? It would have been a lot less complicated to have just hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us about your best Words with Friends score, about a new friend you have made through the game, your thoughts about PLAY on words or even just a simple note saying hello.

Play on Words Again on Amazon

Play on Words Again on Amazon
Take a sneak peak!